Thursday, April 8, 2010

Swales & Feak: Data commentary

after reading Data Commentary

Through this article, I finally became to know what data commentary is and how it should be written. And I realized every commentary has its rules and proper procedures. So from now on I will try to keep these rules when I should put some tables, graphs and etc. Data commentaries have some elements in the following. First, it’s good to say the location elements and summaries about the data. Second, it needs highlight statements for the writers to have good judgment. Finally, it should have a space of discussions of implications, problems, exceptions, etc. Concluding a data commentary, we had better refer the unexpected results or unsatisfactory data, if possible. And we can predict the possible further researches. And also with regard to graphs, we should be careful of using the words, paragraphs and chronological orders when describing them. I think these principles are very beneficial for graduate students to prepare for their theses. From now on I will see data such as tables, graphs and etc and their commentaries very carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment